Me and Newt

Newt Gingrich, Gap modelThis is a picture of me and Newt Gingrich posing as Gap Models (meaning sad, hungry people staring into the distance away from one another). I like to take these because they make me laugh. A few weeks ago I was a guest on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and so was Newt. His staff people, or whatever politicians call their posse, seemed nice so when I met Newt I asked him if he would take a silly picture with me. He said “Sure. Tell me what to do.” So I told him what to do. He didn’t really get the “sad” part down, but he tried and was a good sport and quite friendly. I liked him. I don’t usually agree with him and I’m aware of just about every public fact about his not so stellar private life, but I liked meeting him. And I wanted to take a nap on his belly. He was soft, warm and snuggly. It was like being hugged by a Republican Teddy Ruxpin. So, I posted this picture on Twitter. For a laugh. I am a comedian. I am not a philosopher, politician or anything else to be taken seriously. It says “comedian” right there on my Twitter profile. Well, after posting it, I was slammed with hate posts from people on the left. They couldn’t believe I would pose in a picture with him and call him a good sport. Well, I did and he was. I was shocked that anyone takes anything I do seriously because I certainly don’t and I’m the one in charge of me. Even writing that sentence hurt my head. Nonetheless, people did take it seriously and reacted with the usual awful amount of hate social media can drum up. I think anonymity empowers people in the worst ways but I really couldn’t believe it.

But, let’s back up for a second.

I know relatively nothing about ‘celebrities’ unless they are comedians I am actual friends with. I don’t watch E! or any of the shows where I would get information regarding these celebrity people. I’m just not interested. I preferred the old days where we knew little about celebrities and what we did know was probably made up. Oh, Liberace is in love with and married a lady? Good for him. I doubt it . Whatever. Who cares. But at least up until about ten years ago, in order to become a celebrity you had to do something. Anything. Sing. Dance. Eat Fire. Juggle babies. SOMETHING. Now, ‘celebrity’ is an actual job. Whatever that means. Snooki and the Kardashians. I don’t know what any of them do but I’m assuming nothing because I’ve yet to see them do anything so I’m not interested in knowing more about nothing. If you like that kinda stuff, well then I’m happy for you. Seriously, good you for. We all have our thing. I’m usually watching people being murdered on the ID Channel, super weirdos on NatGeo, sports or politics. So unless you’re murdering someone, hunting alligators in a swamp, hitting or catching a ball or debating politics, I probably don’t know or care who you are.

So, when I was heading over to NBC, a friend texted me and said that Newt was one of the other guests. I was really excited. I’ve watched him for 20 years in every televised debate that he’s ever been in. As I said, I don’t usually agree with his positions but I respect him. I never voted for him but I loved that he was in the game. He’s played the game well and hung tough. He’s smart, and I’d bet he’d be the first one to tell you that, but I also admire that kind of confidence. I don’t have it. He’s old school and I like old school. His debate performances were always lively and his look of complete exhaustion combined with eye rolling whenever Michele Bachmann spoke was spectacular. He looked at her like a gnat that flew into his dinner party. I respect his love of history. I’m a history geek and it’s nice to know there’s other geeks out there. I like that he clearly likes a steak and not the gym. I couldn’t agree more.

I don’t understand exactly when and or why the division between ideas has become so personal. I have been friends with Larry the Cable Guy for 20 years. He is right leaning. Not a crazy person, just conservative. I am left leaning. Not a crazy person, just less conservative. For Christmas, he has given me Rush Limbaugh books and I have given him JFK biographies. We can agree to disagree and agree on more than people would think. I really think if everyone on congress picked someone from the other side and took a Gap Model picture with them, it might be the start of actual conversations. If we can start with a laugh, maybe we can build from there. If we don’t start somewhere, we will arrive nowhere. And that last sentence is the deepest thing I’ve thought of in 15 years so I should stop writing while I’m ahead of where I thought I could be. I say cheers to Newt for not taking himself too seriously and cheers to the people who did understand that is was for fun and a stupid laugh which I believe is what I’m supposed to be in charge of.

This entry was posted in blog. Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Me and Newt

1. Katie says:

Damn straight Kathleen. You go on with your bad self!

2. monica gundler says:

Yet another reason why you are my favorite! THANK YOU for a breath of sanitY!

3. ferdburful says:

Kathleen – thank you for that! Love your work, and your attitude. How refreshing. How old school. How different!

4. Brian says:

Beautiful Kat

5. Brian says:

I can see why you and Ron get along … I’m right with you.
    Love !!!

6. Lorrie says:

If we don’t start somewhere, we’ll arrive nowhere should be embroidered on a pillow. Very well said.

7. Kathi says:

I think you make more sense than most anyone else does!!!!

8. Skip says:

Damn straight!

9. Sandy says:

Thank you for some common sense and ALL the laughs.

10. S Rhoades says:

I agree with you Kathleen, if peolpe could just try to accept people for who they are, including flaws or opinions that they don’t agree with, we would all be in a different place. Thank you for your fresh opinion on what is going on, it basically is saying what is wrong with this country. “If we don’t start somewhere, we’ll arrive nowhere” is the best comment I’ve heard in a very long time! Love you!!

11. Bryan says:

Kathy: reading your post was wonderful. More people on the right and the left need to do more to break the ice than spill vile references at each other. I am all for them taking “Gap model picture” and start from there to get this country moving again.

12. Larry says:

Bravo Kath….now just so the right people read and understand this… You are Spot ON .

• George McClure says:

This is a great piece and I couldn’t agree more, Kathleen. We need to respect the opinions of others even if we disagree with them. Otherwise, it seems the divide becomes unpassable and we just end up deep inside our own little tribes that reinforce our sometimes myopic view of the world.

13. jeannine smith says:

I love the murder channel too! I want to remarry just so I can murder him. I know how to get away with it from watching the shows.

14. Robert Box says:

Kathleen, You can’t fool me you were checking to see if he had a heart and if it was beating, Or cold stone still.

15. Dale Konyha says:

Will you marry me ? Finally a intelligent woman speaking about politics without spewing the venom. I’m like Larry, in his political views. Not a member of any party, just look at the whole and vote my mind. I loved the picture and GOT the joke.

16. Sara Fryd says:

Kathleen, you are class act and a marvel. If I wake up sad or down, I go to youtube and watch your bit as a Southern female Satan and the world becomes silly and wonderful once more. I’ve watched Newt teach those early American history classes and they are fascinating and wonderful. In today’s world, it takes a lot of courage to get up on stage for the sole purpose to make people laugh and connect with each other. Much love and good wishes Dear heart.

17. Sue says:

I am super lefty but I also have a sense of humor! That’s the issue here. It’s funny. You didn’t endorse his politics on Hardball or Morning Joe. You took a funny pic. Chill people. Please just chill. Yur wearing me out….

18. Kathi says:

People need to chill! Love you. Saw you at Foxwoods last year!

19. Pingback: Me and Newt | I love quebec music

20. Daniel says:

Is it bad that I saw that pic on Facebook and thought NOTHING about politics? It’s just sad that somebody can see a picture of somebody with a politician and just IMMEDIATELY assume that they are with that party. Can’t a person just take a picture with somebody and have politics NOT be a factor? Is this how bad we’ve gotten as a nation? Is this how divided we’ve gotten as a country? If so, it’s a dang shame.

21. Charlotte says:

Spot on. We all need to not take ourselves so seriously. Makes life a lot easier…and fun.

22. Bill Gorgo says:

Well said, young Ms.Kathleen. Coming to Chicago anytime soon?

23. Jim Sylvester says:

Kathleen, you go girl!

I consider myself Libertarian (stay away from my money, marry whoever you want, smoke whatever you want; good luck to you). The way you interact with Newt is actually the way our country started. People like John Adams and Thomas Jefferson could be fierce political adversaries and lifetime personal friends. And take this to the bank: You and your standup colleagues do more positive, good things for this country than a truckload of politicians and bureaucrats could ever hope to do. Keep up the great work!
    And…when are you coming back to the Mississippi Gulf Coast? Can’t wait to see you again! My wife and I both LOVE you from the time
    we first saw you on Last Comic Standing!

24. Jim Horan says:

It was my birthday on the 15th!!!

25. anothermadigan says:

Great perspective! Acceptance of differing views is such a rare perspective these days!

26. Phil Houseal says:

I never share anything but I shared this. Except for one funny housewife in Austin, you are the only person who makes me “laugh out loud.”

27. Norm Coleman says:

Kathy you are spot on. I did Google “Gap Models” just to see that pose and found a surprising number of images of people with splits in their teeth.

28. David says:

Right on the money. You speak for the majority of our country. We just want to respect each other and have a good time.

29. JohnDamian says:

You hugged a republican? Agree with you, but do you know where that belly has been?

30. dnormang says:

YEP.

31. Michael says:

You talk about politics all the time Kathleen and it cracks me up….My very conservative family adores you. There is nobody in the business better than you.

32. Jeff says:

Well Gap pictures are certainly better than some of the selfies that politicians have been posted. How great would it be to see them trying to take your idea. Although I have a feeling Bill Clinton would be photobombing every photo looking for hookers and blow.

33. Diana Woolard says:

For the most part I’ve stopped reading the brain droppings of so many anonymous bullies who troll the net for opportunities to spout their vitriol. It’s just too depressing to think I have to share the planet with them. These turd-bucket crabcakes gleefully pounce on anything that should be perceived as a simple, good-natured offering and use it as an opportunity to try and make somebody else feel as lousy as they themselves do. In my opinion it’s pretty transparent that they are operating from a position of insecurity. The people who do that sort of thing don’t matter, and the people who matter don’t do that sort of thing. It was great post- and I’m no fan of the Republicans. I love that you can be so objective and respectful, and can recognize the redeeming qualities in a controversial figure. You are the best, Kathleen, and nobody makes us laugh louder or harder. My husband and I have lost count of the number of times we’ve watched your hilarious routines, and we enjoy them just as much with every viewing!

34. Thom DeRosa says:

You’ve been one of my favorite comedians for years…right next to Carlin, Black, Pryor… that bunch. But I enjoy your less political/more everyday life material. Political lately just makes me get like Mr. Black. Lewis kills me but I worry he’s gonna pop an blood vessel,,,lol. I agree w/ your blog (Gingrich-10,16,13) and feel some people just don’t get it. Comedy, to me, is mostly delivery/timing. You got it all. After playing mostly Blues and Jazz for over 45+ years and driving cab p/t for over 18+, a little old lady (white) called me racist when I mentioned my disagreement with some of the present administration’s policies. This country needs an IQ overhaul. You keep on keepin’ on!!! Luv it and you!!!

35. Dawn says:

You are a hoot and correct! See you in Detroit on 11/9/13!!!

36. Hey Kathleen, Saw your show in Houston on the 26th. Fabulous as expected! Before the show, sitting next to complete strangers, we began talking about how much we love Kathleen Madigan, retelling your jokes like we were family members! Left the show with a whole bunch of new friends. Looking forward to your next visit to Houston.

37. chaz says:

AWESOME post, should be required reading for every A’mer’can…as Larry would say ;) LOL

38. Connie Crew says:

Love you, Kathleen! Please come to Oregon!

39. Kathleen says:

You are an absolute pisser!! I too am an Irish Catholic from the Bronx who relates to EVERY joke and comment. Similar age and experiences…love you…I have been told multiple times I am very much like you, humor wise. It is all based on the family and life as one of us. Compliment to me…By the way, Dad is Jerry from Ireland with a brother Gerald…sort of like you and yours :)

40. Jill says:

Thanks for coming to Florida again, we need you perhaps more than other states. When I get in a bad mood, I watch your videos and turn that frown upside down. Thanks for the free therapy!

41. Pam Rock says:

Dear Kathleen:
    You are the funniest comedian I have ever experienced; I am telling everyone, anyone, people I like, people I hate, people I don’t know at the bar, and anyone who will listen – to watch you streaming on Netflix or buy your DVD’s. You are hysterical, but you know why – because you just have to call home. LOL. In regards to Newt, I think it must be vogue “to be offended”. I’m going to make a T-shirt that says, “I’m offended, but I’m not sure why.” Get over yourself people, no one is that politically correct. Really. Looking forward to seeing you in Pennsylvania! You really need to visit “Steel Stacks” and the “Sands Casino”, both are in Bethlehem, PA. Wishing you much continued success!

42. Aortus says:

You crack me up, Kathleen. My girlfriend and I are so looking forward to seeing you at the beautiful Gillioz Theatre in Springfield, MO tomorrow night!

43. musicman says:

Nice to see someone enjoying life for what it is….. if you meet somebody and they’re cool, then they’re just cool. Much respect for staying real and finding the good that lies within those who we may not have a ton in common with. But being real and sincere will break down all kinds of walls. Keep it up young lady…

44. Kathleen,
    My wife also watches those channels with all the murders, should I be concerned? Whole family going to the show in Jacksonville, we cant wait. Safe travels,
    John

45. Tom Brown says:

Kathleen, you have found the universal connection between the tea party and the progressive apologists! Narrow minded,always ready to criticize without the benefit of facts, and only ready to debate those that agree with their positions! Job well done!

46. Stephanie says:

People are multifaceted. Just because someone doesn’t agree with one aspect of another’s politics, etc., doesn’t mean that there can’t be at the minimum a modicum of respect and civility, if not frienship and professionalism.
    In fact, it is our many differences that should be celebrated, because that’s what makes the fabric of society stronger.

47. Raphael says:

So, I just watched your stand up on netflix, and i think that I’m getting a huge crush on you, I just need to get this out of my chest

48. Belle Gayer says:

Kathleen, BRAVO!

I adore your sensibilities – they are authentic and true.

Just finished watching an old COMICS UNLEASHED (which I have seen before) and still marvel each time I see you perform WHY YOU DON’T HAVE YOUR OWN TV SHOW!!

Best wishes~~

49. Caroline says:

Way to to Kathleen! Great show in Dallas awhile back. Had a great time. I too could care less about the politics of people – they are just people and so what if they are nutso

50. Jimmy Moldovan says:

They have shoes that can help you with that lean to the left. It just means one legs shorter than the other.

51. Paul Frazier says:

Well said. I recently saw you in Boston with my daughters. Great show. Keep up the good work of making life a little easier for all of us.

52. If you were a pumpkin, it would be singing an upbeat Irish jig spewing candy and dancing …. Oh! How about a little choreo-animation with your voice for your blog? Oh! Then use is behind you during set break. Ok, ok. I’m signing off. Love your work.